Monday, January 28, 2013

(Vegan) Red Lentil Soup

Ok, I know I've done Red Lentil Soup before, but I usually add bacon or use chicken stock. But since my daughter has gone Vegan, I've been searching for some ideas that we can all eat for dinner. This is great soup! The veggies don't turn mushy and it has a nice earthy, rustic flavor. We didn't miss any of the "meat" flavor! Although, a nice sprinkling of Parmesan would certainly be nice if you wanted to downgrade it to Vegetarian. I tell ya, this has been quite the learning experience! Not enough to turn me into a full time Vegan, but I can handle it on occasion. I love my meat! ;)



Vegan Red Lentil Soup

Ingredients:
2 T red onion, chopped
2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 carrots, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1 t dried basil
1 can Rotel (diced tomatoes & green chiles)
1 fresh tomato, chopped
2 cups red lentils
8 cups water
3 kale leaves, stem removed, sliced thin
2 T red wine vinegar
Himalayan Pink Salt & freshly ground pepper*

Directions:
In a large sauce pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in lentils and add water & tomatoes. Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 1 hour. Add the kale and cook for about 15 - 20 minutes until wilted. Add the vinegar, salt & pepper. Serves 4-6. (recipe adapted from Bob's Red Mill)

I partnered the soup with some grilled White Cheddar Cheese sandwiches. Perfect for a cold, rainy night!

*I love this pink salt! I use it all the time...but $9.49 at Amazon? I get mine for $1.99 at Trader Joes!* 

No comments:

Post a Comment