Turkey Tetrazzini (recipe adapted from Emeril Lagasse, with a few small changes)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced (I used shiitake & maitake varieties)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream (I didn't have have enough cream, so I used 1 cup cream, 1/2 cup evaporated milk, & 1/4 fat free)
- 12 ounces pasta, cooked al dente per packages directions, set aside
- 1 pound cubed or bite-size shredded roast turkey
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 (5 1/2-ounce) bag potato chips, crushed
Saute the onions in 3 tablespoons of the butter & the olive oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over high heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Add the mushrooms, Essence, and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft and have released their liquid, about 6 minutes. Sprinkle with the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the wine and vegetable stock and cook, stirring, until smooth and thick, about 2 minutes. Add the cream/milk and bring to a low. slow boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and very flavorful, 15 to 20 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Butter a 9 by 13-inch casserole or baking dish with the remaining tablespoon of butter and set aside.
When the sauce has thickened, add the noodles, turkey, parsley, salt, black pepper, and Parmesan to the skillet and stir until thoroughly combined. Transfer to the prepared casserole and top with the potato chips. Bake uncovered until bubbly and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately. Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup